Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Have You Ever Wished You Had a Giant Dumpster in Your Front Yard?



O.K., be honest. Have you ever wished just for a moment that you could back a giant dumpster up to your garage and start filling it up with all the stuff that's accumulated in your house for years? There have been times when I've wished it...I won't lie. But, I wasn't wishing for it the week before last when our washer flooded the entire upstairs and most of our basement.

I wasn't wishing for it, but it turns out that the experience has been quite cleansing. The Great Gerken Flood 2011, like many things in my life, isn't something I would have asked for. In fact, I was shocked and devastated the moment I walked into the chaos that began a week ago Thursday and continues as I look around my house at plywood floors ten days later. But like all difficult, stripping things we walk through in this life, there has been great beauty and blessing rising up from the ashes (or the flood waters, rather). Great freedom in letting go. I sorted through my mother's boxes and cried the ugly cry. But, it is finished now, and I feel a bit lighter. We tore up most of the flooring in our tiny house...the last bit being the bathroom, which will be coming up soon.

This disorganized messy, who would much rather wax poetic on my blog, weaving tales with words than sort, organize, clean and care for the home that I used to take such pride in as a young bride...is singing a much different tune. I'm not loving every minute of it. Waking up each day and knowing that I will work on my house until my bones and muscles cry out from the aching is new for me. I'd much rather curl up with a good book, frolic in the swimming pool, play a round of golf. I have been flung into a world that has been mostly avoided and neglected for the past six years or so. Windows with years of film...neglected by the woman of the house...along with wood work that needs cleaning, walls that need painting, furniture that needs dusting, curtains that need washing. Somehow the cleaning up of all the debris, the sorting through years of stuff, only reveals more that needs cleaning.

But, it's a good hurt. It's a good hurt for me to humbly realize all that I've neglected. It's a good hurt to see God's grace in revealing it to me...and quite frankly everyone else in my life...including the strangers who drive by and see my full dumpster in the front yard. There is freedom in the stripping...freedom in the clearing away of unnecessary debris. Granted, I am sad for some of the things filling that dumpster. But, they are just things after all. And, as my house gets pruned, stripped, and cleaned, I feel the Lord pruning, stripping, and cleansing away a lot of the unnessessary stuff in me. Revealing what needs to be healed, and pouring His grace over each wound.



Out from beneath the rubble, we pulled the best "Kid's Meal" prize in the history of "Kid's Meal Prizes"...Timothy's Woody toy that he received as a preschooler from a Burger King Meal. I squeezed his tummy and heard as clear as the first time, "You're my favorite deputy." A big sigh from my mama-heart as I showed my now seventeen year old boy his old toy.

As I work each day, the memories flood my mind and heart. When the floors were stripped away, revealing the plywood subfloor beneath, I remembered young Timothy, just shy of two years old, riding his school bus through the house on the same newly built floors before my signature 1995 burgundy/mauve carpet was laid, his toddler chatter echoing through the rooms. Tim and I were just nineteen years old when we built our little house. This week, my house filled with ladies who generously donated the day to paint almost every room in my house, I was overwhelmed with the beauty of their gift...overwhelmed with the love and generosity. My mother-in-law brought a posse of painters to join the boys and me, and my friend Lynnette showed up with her two strapping sons and lasagna for dinner. As Lynette, Tracy, and I scraped the border and taped the trim the day before, I thought of my mother helping me hang border for the first time. As I took down the curtains she gave me, I smiled, knowing if she were here she would be all up in this surprise remodel.

We smoothed a fresh coat of paint over James' room, and I remembered the months we waited for our baby girls, planning a pink nursery with my mother. Then, later hoped for Thomas to fill the green room with little boy fun. And, the years we were resigned to make it a spare room instead of a nursery...until a sweet surprise came in the form of our James. I remembered the years I spent wishing for a bigger house, and the years I spent learning to be grateful for this little house. I thought of my mother as I rolled the fresh paint on the walls, and how the touches of a woman make up her home...telling the story of her life.

Right now, I am grateful for the cleansing...grateful for the healing...grateful for the Lord's ability to make beauty from ashes...

And, as I close my eyes at the end of each day, sometimes crying cleansing tears...sometimes tears of gratefulness and awe...I hear Him whisper to my heart..

"Behold...I make all things new..."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Kelly, you are awesome. This post is just great and lovely. I can feel your words weave into my heart as I read them. Hope the remodel is getting close to being finished and you can take your place at the pool again!

Monica said...

Great post!

Holly said...

I really do wish at times I could have a giant dumpster like that! I'd have a lot more space in my house!!

I hate to admit I am with you on neglecting the house. eep.

How so nice that those lovely ladies painted for you! So generous!!!

Linda said...

Oh Kelly..bless your sweet heart! I know all of this must be so hard! But as you say it is also freeing. We all have so much stuff that bogs us down. Things that make us feel tense. I sometimes wish I could simplify again...but never seem to have the energy.

I know this clean up didn't come by choice...but I am glad that even through the tears you are finding peace.

That is wonderful that so many people have come out to help you! Thank God for precious friends and family, and church family huh? (:>)

I hope restful days will come soon honey.

Love, Momma Linda

Spud said...

I can't wait to come up this fall and see the newly remade house. I'm so glad that you find God's blessings in everything. Your journey is a wonderful inspiration for me.

Jennifer Ross said...

Oh, I just love this. Somehow, you and I were "thrown" in the same "clean up your life boat!" lol

The picture of that dumpster, was the back end of my uncle's truck, filled three times over. I really didn't like seeing what was going, but it felt great at the same time. Kind of like you said, "He makes all things new"..........


This was really good Kelly.

P.S. As always, when you wrote about your mother and all of the help you had when you built your house, it blurred my eyes from the tears...... Thank you. lol :D