Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, April 22, 2011

Riding my Turquoise Bike Past Her House in the Spring...


I love my turquoise bike.
It has what I call a mama bottom seat. You know, a seat made for a mama-sized bottom. Not some tiny uncomfortable contraption.
I had been eyeing it for awhile, looking longingly through the window of our small town hardware store each time I rode by on my hand-me-down ten speed, taken by the way the sun reflected off it's frosty blue goodness.
It was July, several years ago...the week of my birthday...when Tim handed me the money and told me to go get the bike as a present.

The first place I rode my new bike was to my mother's house. She smiled and said that she was just about to do the same thing. She knew how I loved to ride my bike, and how much I had wanted the shiny turquoise bike that had been calling to me from the hardware store window. She bought me a pink backpack, instead...to carry my library books when James and I rode our bikes to get books. Her house was always on my bike route. And, we would often stop there to pet her dog Pebbles, get James a drink (he is always thirsty), and grab some tomatoes from the garden. Even after she went home to heaven, her house remained on our route. We would stop and chat with Grandpa, pet Pebble, and get James a drink.

I still ride my bike, sometimes with James chatting away alongside me, and sometimes on my own. And, her house is still on our bike route.

Only now, it isn't her house anymore, or mine, or the house of my children's grandmother. Someone else has bought my mother's house. Her husband remarried and moved away last summer. Someone else will wash the dishes in the sink that I washed so many dishes in, while listening to the oldies with the summer breeze blowing the scent of lilacs in the windows, and the faint whir of mopeds humming in the distance.

The first bike ride we took this year we went around the reservoir lifting our legs as our bike sped down the muddy hill, life blooming all around as spring awakens from its winter sleep.  Her house came into view. And, I stopped, overwhelmed with the nostalgia washing over me. My eyes settled on the deck Tim built, where I sat on the swing, watching the boys swim in the pool that's no longer there. My throat swelled, and I shook the tears away.
James was with me, and I didn't want to dwell long on the sad. I didn't want to ruin the first bike ride of spring. Still, my heart ached with such longing I could barely breathe.

Last week, I started off on my ride, alone, over the creek bridge, muddy waters rushing fast, full of spring rain. I crossed the bumpy railroad tracks that surround my neighborhood and past the Methodist church, rode around the school, past the pool park and around the ball diamond, remembering the summers when all my friend Nicki and I did was ride around town, waiting for something to happen and dreaming our summer dreams.
I crossed Main Street and Ron's Super Valu, then over more bumpy tracks until I reached her road.
I've mentioned before how each season, the missing washes over me anew. Spring is no exception.

But this year, this year is different.

This year, when I ride past her house, the house where I grew up, I cannot stop and get a water and pet Pebbles.
I road by, drinking in the sight, allowing the ache to fully envelope me. My eyes settled where the flag used to fly so proudly, her rock garden that she and Grandpa proudly laid by hand, the pink stencil she painted on the gas tank.
Her lilac bush, not yet blooming.
And, her clothesline...with the clothespins still clipped to the top. She loved to hang the clothes out to dry in the summer breeze, and was quite dedicated, even tromping out in the mud in her snow boots.
That did it. The tears spilled over, and my chest heaved, as I pedalled away from the memories, the hurt, and the missing. Or I tried, but it followed me. It followed me as I rode over the bridge where the wildflowers bloom tall in the summer and past the field still muddy with spring, over the tracks again and around the reservoir hill. Still...I pedalled my turquoise bike, tears streaming, chest heaving.

By the time I rounded the corner of my road and pulled into my stone driveway, the tears were dry.
I rolled the turquoise bike into the garage, hugged my husband, and started supper for my family.
Time marches on, and the missing washes over me anew each season. It probably always will. Even more reason to make memories with those we love. Even more reason to soak in the gift of right now, with a grateful heart. Even more reason to cling to Jesus, and not the fleeting things of this world.
For, no season on this earth lasts forever.
---------------------------------------------------

A Blessed Easter to you and yours....love and prayers for those missing someone during this spring season of hope and renewal.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” John 11:25-26

10 comments:

Rob's Farmgirl said...

So sorry...I am missing my Mom too but am so grateful she is still on this earth, just across the state. I can't even imagine and I think of you often during the seasons...and just so you know Tanner and I went for a bike ride the other day. I rode Lynn's bike with the Momma seat...and my butt fit quite well on that seat! We've earned those seats...we're Mommas!!!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry! The seasons definitely bring grief anew.
I want a bike with a momma seat!! :)

Kristin said...

Oh, Kelly, this brought tears to my eyes. I so understand those feelings. I was just sitting here watching a country music show and it reminded me all of a sudden how much my Mom would have loved watching it and how I am so like her in so many ways :) I love your turquoise bicycle! I pray that one day in Heaven, there will be turquoise bicycles that we can ride with those we love!

Linda said...

Precious Kelly...my heart hurt for you as I read this. And it also hurt because of my own memories of those I love who have moved on to heaven.

God gave us the capacity to love so deeply...and of course the love lives on even after they leave this earth. We can't forget ...we will never forget them...and the love lives on.

I have found that the hurt does lesson as time passes though...and all of the good and happy memories remain strong.

God is here with us...and there with them...in a beautiful heaven. He is God and He can do that! (smile) Someday we will all be reunited. And that is comforting.

I'll bet you look so cute riding your Turquoise Bike!

Love you!
Momma Linda

Kim @ Peace of my Heart said...

Beautiful, Kelly. Thank you for so generously sharing your heart.

Love to you,
Kim

Caroline said...

So sorry ,{{HUGS}}
I know those feelings of family that has passed on. How I wish they were still here. Lovely memories to look back on even though there are tears. But one sweet day we will be w/them again. Jesus made sure of that when he gave his life for all of us. That's what helps me is it isn't forever we will see them again.
Love you my friend.
Happy Easter

Sarita Boyette said...

Kelly, this is a tear jerker but so beautifully put. I'm sorry your Mom is gone and her house is sold. I miss my parents so much, too. My brother lives in their house now. (((HUGS)))

Holly said...

First, I love your bike. I can just picture you pedaling it down the road. :)

I know it has to be hard to drive past a place where there are so many memories but it isn't a place you can stop and make them anymore. :(

Lots of love to you Kelly ((hug))

Spud said...

Just by reading your description I could picture your ride. I miss your Mom, too!

Have a very blessed Easter!

Unknown said...

Sending you so many *hugs*.

I like how you talked about a "momma seat" I definitely need one of those.