Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Shopping and My First Black Friday Part 2...and Please Pray

I survived my first ever Black Friday experience intact. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed a rather peaceful drive to my friend Nicki's house in the wee hours of the morning, smiling at the memories of shopping with my mother and laughing at the hysterical "good-bye" note written to me by my oldest son on a paper plate...showing tongue-in-cheek concern for my safety. I took the road with the belly-getter hills, thinking of her. It felt as if she was in the car with me, the memories were so close. I could sense one of those Daddy's little girl days in the works...you know, those days when it's evident God has gone before you and leaves little blessings throughout the day...and you feel just like "Daddy's little girl".

And, it was like that...

I wish I had something more exciting to report, but other than one disconcerting moment when a pack of wild dingo-type shoppers dove in front of us for some item I couldn't see under the pile, I saw nothing disorderly. We quickly found the bargain I was looking for, were handed a ticket by a polite Wal Mart employee, and waited in a short orderly line for the coveted item. I saved $40 on the gift for our youngest son...and jumped up and down after the purchase! We finished our shopping and checked out in lawn and garden without even waiting in line!

Nicki (who happens to be Sawyer's mama) and I shared laughs and memories throughout the day. We marvelled at how easy and pleasant everything had gone...and I smiled, feeling not only the closeness of my sweet mother, but the blessing of my Heavenly Father throughout the day. I'm so glad I went. So glad I didn't let the tug of guilt keep me home. I would have missed out on the blessing of that day...and the gift of time with a good friend. Who knows? I may even have a new tradition. We'll see! =)

In other news...

Please pray for us as we prepare for tomorrow. Our band, One Way, will be doing the worship music at Holgate United Methodist Church and I will be sharing our family/ministry testimony. Please pray that the Lord would go before us, that He would give the words, that others would be encouraged and that He would be glorified. On a personal note, this is only the second time my husband, Tim, has heard me share the account of our journey. And, it can bring so many emotions for us. Praying for His strength...that He would enable us to be vessels for Him...even in our broken, imperfect state.

Also..don't forget to join us on Monday to kick off the SGM Christmas Extravaganza 2010. We will be sharing the ways that we remember our loved ones at Christmas and other memories. Be ready to link your post on the Walking With You page on Monday. This is for anyone missing someone they love this year....not just grieving parents. And, there will be some blessings offered to those who participate...yes, I am bribing you...but it's for your own good! We'll call it incentive...or positive reinforcement. =) I hope you will join us. It was a blessing for those who participated last year.

6 comments:

Jennifer Ross said...

The end of your post reminds me of my bribery with my own boys!! lol Hey, if it works, right? lol

It feels great when you get a great deal!

I'll be praying for you and the band. :)

Jennifer said...

So glad you went shopping and had a good time.
Praying that God would allow you to be "Broken and Spilled Out" for His glory!
xoxo

Caroline said...

Yay for shopping !!
Keeping you & the band in my prayers.

Caroline

Holly said...

I'm very bribable. lol ;)

Way to score a good deal on Fri! Makes me laugh that some people can be crazy like that on deals to dive for something.

Hoping everything goes well today for you and your band!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got a great deal! Hoping things go well with the band, and I'll be back tomorrow!

Spud said...

You crack me up.

I played "Home for Christmas" by Steven Curtis Chapman today and it made me think of your mother. She's definitely home for Christmas and I'm sure she's loving it.