Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Reading ~ Book Reviews



A couple months ago, I received an email from Phenix and Phenix Literay Publicists requesting that I consider reviewing Seasons of Solace by Janelle Shantz Hertzler. I wasn't sure at first, partly because I don't feel qualified to review someone else's book. Who really is going to care about my opinion? And to be honest, I am always a little afraid to do something like that, because...what if I don't like it? Then, what will I say?? For those reasons and because of our busy schedule...it took me awhile to respond. When I finally wrote back, they promptly and graciously sent me a copy of the book. Wanting to give it my full attention, and still a little nervous about giving my review, it waited on my nightstand a little while longer. I finally read the book last week, and began working on this post a few days ago.

I opened the book to find Janelle's heart-wrenching journey woven in poems alongside pristine photography, depicting the beauty of God's creation, a place I myself find great peace and comfort. Sometimes I like to just sit and breathe in the beauty of the world He made. There is some sort of restoring comfort in the soft green grass, the swaying trees, the sound and feel of the wind as it blows past, the seasons that march on regardless of the tempests tossing our lives, the songs of the birds I imagine as songs of praise to their Creator.

I love how she begins the book by telling of the stark beauty of a red leaf laying among jagged stones. "Radiant, it lay dying. It was that beauty and death intermingled that captured my attention." (Seasons of Solace) It was with those words that Janelle captured my attention. For, it is my life's work and heart's desire to tell the story of the beauty waiting in the ashes of sorrow.

Her poetry is raw and beautiful. I wondered how she would "take us on her journey" with poems. A lover of words and poetry, I was intrigued by the notion. She conveyed through every page the steps of her journey, and mixed along the way were the gorgeous photographs of creation. I felt that I was with her, when she heard the news of her husband's death, when she stood at the funeral, when she asked her "Why-questions", as she found healing through the pouring out of her words. I could relate to the feeling of listening to the grief and sorrow of others in the moment when your own grief weighs so heavily and suffocating on your heart. It reminded me of standing in the receiving line, after the death of my son, and later next to my mother's body, offering comfort to those who had come to comfort me.

Janelle's book is lovely, honest, heart-wrenching, and soothing. I am so grateful that she and her staff shared it with me. For more information, please visit Janelle's website: Journey Through Grief.

After I started writing this post, I noticed that Holly (who had reviewed the book a little while ago) was interviewed by Janelle for her website. To read Holly's wonderful interview, her review of the book, and for links to Janelle's site...visit Holly's blog here. You did such a great job, Holly! I'm so proud of you, girl.

--------------------------

Since I'm doing a post of reviews, I would be remiss if I neglected another interesting book I've recently read. Almost as interesting is the way I came upon The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews. The only thing I love better than a good story is a good story behind the story. The first time I heard about The Heart Mender was in April at the Women of Faith conference. Andy was there to speak on Friday. Holly and her cousin went in our place while Becki and I visited hospitals in the Columbus area. So, I missed his high-energy delivery at the conference. The next day, as we looked over the Women of Faith brochure, Jennilee, who sat next to me talked about his book. She had recently reviewed it through an organization that allows bloggers to receive free books in exchange for their reviews (great idea, huh?). She said it was a story about forgiveness. I thought it sounded like a worthy read, and almost purchased it. But, decided against it.

Then, I saw a display at a book store, when I placed an order with a Christian book distributor and it popped up in the "You may also want to buy..." section, and other places I can't remember. I was always thinking it looked like an interesting book, and I loved the title. But, I just didn't have time to read right then. So, I continued to resist the constant prompting to read this book.

It was almost summer when a package arrived at our P.O. Box from none other than Thomas Nelson publishing. Enclosed was a letter from them expressing their appreciation for our ministry and offering the enclosed book as a gift. Guess what the book was.

The Heart Mender, of course.

Awestruck, two thoughts drove me to sit down for a minute. The first thought, I'll admit, was a bit of surprise and delight to think that someone at Thomas Nelson Publishing knows that Sufficient Grace Ministries exists and took the time to look up our address and send such a gift. I'm a writer at heart. So, this was no small thing to me. (Although, I'm sure it's really much less of a deal than in my imagination!) Secondly, it was quite evident at this point that I was supposed to read The Heart Mender.

God has been whispering to my heart, revealing truths I had buried so deeply that I didn't know they existed. I am a forgiving person by nature. Those close to me will testify that to be true. So, why this book? Why did I need to read it?

The past several months, God has revealed to me that there are a few hurts in my life that I haven't yet reconciled or forgiven. When we were doing the Threads of Hope study on the Walking With You page this spring, emotions of hurt and anger bubbled up from a hidden place. It was so unpleasant, and I'll be honest, I wish it all would have just stayed far in the recesses of the place I've kept it. The reason I am so forgiving, after all, isn't because I'm such a saint. It's because I can't stand to have something between me and another person. I don't want to hold on to anger, sorrow, or bitterness. I want to bathe in the mercy and grace I've been given and want everyone around me to experience the same mercy and grace. I selfishly embrace the freedom of forgiveness any time I am able. The intensity of these emotions left me unsettled and running for the Doritos.

When summer finally beckoned, I yielded to God's tug to read this book, spread out my favorite picnic blanket and laid on the green grass in the shade as I began the journey of The Heart Mender. Set during World War II, the story is one of adventure, love, forgiveness, and finding hope through the hopeless. I became immediately drawn into the story of the American girl who had lost everyone she loved and the German soldier who carried his own battle scars. It was a captivating and lovely story. It's message, just one more whisper, one more reminder to my own heart that hope does indeed spring eternal from the human heart, no matter how much a person has been chewed up and spit out by this life. And, secondly that there is always beauty and freedom in choosing grace and forgiveness.

-----------------------------------

O.K....I'll try and keep the next couple reviews short. It seems I'm spending too much time telling the story behind the story! (My snarky friend, Dinah, is always saying, "Will you quit with the prologue?!")

I shared awhile back that I read Angie Smith's I Will Carry You. It was such a beautiful read. I have read Angie's story before, but reading her book as it was woven together with pieces that I had not read before felt just like sitting on the porch with Angie as she told her story. It was the story of Audrey Caroline and her family, told with the beauty and grace that Angie always writes...with a gentle whisper of God's love in every word. Her words lift me as I read them. They are just that gentle and full of His love and hope. Her book is the same, and I'm so grateful for the privilege of walking with her on this journey...through her blog, in my prayers, and now through her book. Read it with a box of tissues.

-----------------------------

And now...the final book in this long post of reviews, one of my favorite authors... Karen Kingsbury author of Take Three...the latest in this series that tracks the Flannigan family, the beloved Baxter family, and other intriguing characters. I'll admit, I devour Karen's books, and many times refuse to read them until the whole series is written. That way, I don't have to wait for the next one. I will read all day and all night if time allows (which it usually doesn't, of course!) My mind becomes preoccupied with the characters and I sort through some of my own struggles as I watch them try to make sense of this life. It's sort of like therapy...only free if you check out the books from the library, which I generally do!

Honestly, I can probably, with complete confidence, recommend almost any book Karen has written if the ones I've already read are any indication. I love her. (And not just because she mentions Sufficient Grace on her link page! Although, that totally blesses my socks off!) Her heart for Jesus and for the people He died for shines forth in every word of the books she writes. God has given her an amazing gift...and she is using it for His glory. Love, love, love that!

My particular favorites are any of the Baxter series books along with the Above the Line series. If you haven't read them yet, I would start with the Redemption Series. Read through all of the Baxter family books. Then begin the Above the Line books.

Hoping you have a little time to spread out a blanket in the shade with a cup of cold lemonade and a good book this summer. It really is some time well-spent. Have a lovely weekend!

P.S. I just started a new discussion at the Sufficient Grace Gathering Place Blog Frog community asking the question: What are you reading this summer? Please join in!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing! I read Angie's book and needed that box of tissue I had. I have read her blog through a couple of times and was hesitant about reading her book to. I am glad I read it. It was well worth the read. I will check out the others you recommended as well.

Holly said...

Thanks for the shout out, Kelly!! :)

You were obviously meant to read that book by Andy! I'm sure it's very good!

Holly said...

And you did a great review of Janelle's book!

Cecilia said...

I love to hear what others are reading. I review books as a blogger for Thomas Nelson, but I'm with you, it can be harder sometimes when you don't like the book and have to write that.

Love Karen Kingsbury too, I haven't read any of the later series, but absolutely loved the Baxters!

Caroline said...

They all sound like great books. I already had Angie's book on my list. Will have to add some others now. Thanx !!

Caroline

Kristin said...

I loved Angie's book too. And Crazy Love is awesome....you will love it. Another great one that you have to read is "Same Kind of Different as Me". "The Hole in our Gospel" is awesome too!!

I just received some books I ordered in the mail and will start reading them soon: Plan B, The Christian Atheist, and One Million Arrows. I am almost finished with Radical by David Platt and it was great too.

Can you tell I love to read?!! Most all of these books were recommended by bloggers and are all great Christian books. I like to read either true stories about how the Lord worked in someone's life, or Christian books written by Pastors, etc.

Anonymous said...

I'll be putting theae on my list.