Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, June 4, 2010

Meeting People Where They Are

I have this friend, Lynette, a teeny, tiny, lovely sweet lady who loves delicate things and the quiet, simple beauty of this life. Looking at her tiny frame and sweet smile, you would have no idea, but my Lynette is a prayer warrior.

This morning, we joined with some other praying mama friends of mine to do a prayer walk around one of our local communities. We praised, thanked, confessed, and interceded in prayer to our Father as the gentle breezes blew and the sun shown on our faces. We stopped to talk with the sweet ladies planting beautiful flowers along the way. And, off we went to pray some more...quietly and without fan fare.

No one would have even known that's what we were doing...

I love that. I love how a really big God would choose to work through the one you would least suspect. I love how He chooses the chief among sinners to become a new creation. Love how He brings hope out of the most hopeless of circumstances. I love how He chooses one plagued with stage fright to stand in front of a group of people and sing His praises. I love how He chooses the weak to show His strength and might. Love how He chooses the uneducated to display His wisdom. I love how He chooses a sweet, quiet, little woman to be one of my dearest friends and one of the mightiest prayer warriors I know. Incidentally, one of the other of the mightiest prayer warriors I know is an elderly lady, nearly blind, but sharp as a whip, and quite adept at scripture memorization. She has prayed nearly all of her loved ones into the saving knowledge of Jesus...one by one. Every battle fought for their souls on her feeble, yet mighty, knees. No doubt, she will be praying until her dying breath.

I love how the Lord works, and often marvel at the unlikeliness of it all. Oh how I treasure a good underdog story. (Perhaps that's why I endure the agony of being a Cleveland Browns fan.) And, I think our heavenly Father appreciates a good underdog story as well. After all, it's the story He tells over and over again in the lives of His people.

As we prayed today, and in conversations with a few dear friends, God has been impressing another truth into my heart. He's actually been working on this for awhile...

You have to walk with a person, connect with them, meet them where they are before they will want to hear anything you have to say.

One of the greatest blessings of my life has been to watch my husband as God develops that gift in him. He meets people where they are...talking with them about work, helping them with a project, listening about their ideas, their golf game, talking about guitar...whatever relates to the other person. It isn't a put-on or an act. That's just him. He stops and genuinely cares about what the other person is sharing at that moment. That may be the extent of the conversation...or it may turn into something deeper. But, it's always in a comfortable, easy way. He isn't perfect or flowery in his delivery...but he is always genuine. He has the gift of meeting people where they are.

Showing the love of Jesus is something we do in our everyday lives...as we walk along the way, as we sit down, and rise up. It is part of who we are, just an easy, light smile on our face, joy in our eyes and kind, willing heart to listen and share...to laugh, weep with, or hug. It doesn't need to be some grand display, and often that turns others away. Just be who you are and meet people where they are. God is faithful and able to do the rest. You know I'm not a fan of sayings, but this one sums it up:

Preach the gospel always...and when necessary use words.

Living it speaks so much louder than words ever could.

* I wrote this before reading Kelly's Korner for today. Thought it kind of fit with the subject, so I linked up. Click here to share your Random Acts of Kindness ideas.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

God knew just what I needed today when he sent me to your blog. Thank you for sharing your heart!

Caroline said...

So very true Kelly. I love this post and I really needed this today.

{{HUGS}}
Love you
Caroline

Holly said...

I like how you went around and prayed!! Reminds me of that preacher who prayed the hallways in Facing the Giants.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post.

Kristin said...

That is so true, Kelly! I think in this fast paced world, we sometimes forget to just sit and listen to others and just be there for them.

Claire said...

Such a lovely post! And I *love* the idea of a prayer walk!

Cxx

Unknown said...

What a great gift!

Linda said...

Beautiful post Kelly.
You have some beautiful friends....and prayer warriors.

My mama was a prayer warrior and she taught me how to be one too. Now my husband and I are warriors together.

I am like Holly...this post telling of how you walked and prayed for everyone... also reminded me of that man in Facing The Giants who walked the halls and prayed as he touched the lockers.

When I am out in public watching people the song "People Need The Lord" always goes through my mind.

So many people out there don't know the Lord, and they go about their lives without Jesus. We do need to have a burden for them...and to pray for them.

Thanks for this reminder. And thanks for your visit to my new blog...Abigail was so sweet to do it for Grandma! (:>)

Love ya,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a super gift...Trying to catch up some blog reading...and love these random acts...one of my favorite things to do....
Love your blog..
Hope you will stop by for a visit. I have a guest post from my son this weekend...

prashant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.