Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Monday, October 19, 2009

Grace for the Moment




You've probably heard the saying, "Sometimes He calms the storm, sometimes He quiets the child" (or something like that). That's what I would like to discuss on this Tuesdays Together...God's goodness in the giving and the taking away, in the storms and in the calm. Many people praise God when they get the physical miracle, the tangible healing we can see with our eyes. But, God is still good when we don't get the answer we hoped for.

It's probably no surprise that God's grace is one of my favorite things. His grace and mercy are what whooed me to Him in the beginning. I was a sinner desperate for forgiveness, in need of a Savior...one who would love me always and never leave. It wasn't until after I walked with Him a little while that He began to teach me about the sufficiency of His amazing grace. It was through my own desperate need, through my grief and weakness that I learned that His grace was all I needed.

And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing, I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." ~ 2 Corinthians 12:7-9

I pleaded over and over again for the lives of my Faith and Grace, for the life of my Thomas, for the life of my sweet mother. And, he answered, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." I learned that healing comes in various forms. Sometimes the Lord touches directly, healing immediately in a way our eyes can see. Sometimes He heals through medicine or doctors. And sometimes, He heals both body and soul by taking His child home to heaven. All are healing, all are miracles, all are worthy reasons to give Him praise.

Do not think it is less of a miracle that He takes your loved one to heaven. Do not consider it an unanswered prayer. For although your pain and loss are great, your loved one's homecoming is celebrated and his healing is complete. Do you know that: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints (Ps. 116:15)?

The other thing about His grace is that it often comes in the moment it is needed and not a second before. We have sufficient grace for the day...for the moment. He doesn't tell us about tomorrow. In fact, we are admonished not to "worry about tomorrow". He gives us grace that is sufficient to carry us through right now. It is always there...and it is always enough. That is what He promises...not a perfect life of ease. But a life filled with the perfect amount of grace.

I love the Lord, because He has heard
My voice and my supplications.
Because He has inclined His ear to me,
Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live.

The pains of death surrounded me,
And the pangs of Sheol laid hold of me;
I found trouble and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:
"O Lord, I implore You, deliver my soul!"

Gracious is the Lord, and righteous;
Yes, our God is merciful.
The Lord preserves the simple;
I was brought low, and He saved me.
Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.

For You have delivered my soul from death,
My eyes from tears,
And my feet from falling.
I will walk before the Lord
In the land of the living.
~ Psalm 116: 1-9

8 comments:

My Very Own Angel said...

Kelly I love you post. I just linked you in my last blog post. I hope that any of my followers that have lost faith or need a lil more faith will get that from you and your amazing journey through love and loss. You tell a perfect story in every post and you're a real person that these women who turn their back on God and the world can trust. I've never even met you and I love you so much, so much I would leave Vashon with you. In fact I would gladly leave Vashon with you. lol

-Steph

Ms. Sarah said...

Kelly I love your postings. I always walk away thinking. I linked you in my pregnacy loss post. You and lynnette have helped me turn back to god. Thank you.

Joyeful said...

What an Awesome God we have! He is always doing the miraculous! What a beautiful testimony of His grace and of His faithfulness, Kelly! There is so much truth here. There is no prayer he leaves unanswered. No miracle requested of Him that He fails to perform. Even death is swallowed up in victory!!

Snarky Belle said...

Impeccable timing. I just love you.
I praise God for givin gyou the words that lift and strengthn so many of us!!

Yesterday, I posted about this very thing...ofcourse it was with FAR less beauty than your post. ;)
But if I'm even close to being on your wavelength...well, that thrills me!

"God is still good when we don't get the answer we hoped for." Amen, precious Kelly, amen!!

Snarky Belle said...

Oh my...check out all the typos in my comment. Sorry!!

Holly said...

I love reading your posts, Kelly. There are always so encouraging to me. I am sure they touch many people!! I have seen and experienced several of God's healings. I may not always understand why He chooses a certain healing in one situation and not another, but like you have said His grace is sufficient.

Dena said...

You have a beautiful blog with compassion and purpose. My son Jeremy died a little over three years ago and his birthday is the 22nd of October, so this is a very difficult month for us. Thank you for your words of comfort.

Carol said...

I love you too! I know you ask if you can pray for concerns....I don't know this mama either, but she is struggling with a child, Jonah, who has EB and is not eating well. This often happens to EB patients, but she really, really does not want a feeding tube. Please add Jonah to your prayers. You can copy his link to your blog from my link on Choose Joy if you wish to read. They lost their first child and their second is really struggling. They need our prayers. Thanks Dear~~~