Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Stopping to Pick the Dandelions

Often, I learn from the students I work with...probably much more than I teach. This week, we returned to school. Our oldest son returned to high school as a sophomore, with his driver's permit and a position on the varsity golf team. Our "baby" climbed the steps of the school bus for the first time to travel almost 20 miles away to the school in our district that houses the third and fourth grades. And, I returned to my position working with special needs students. This year, I have moved up to second grade to begin my third year working with a delightful young man who often brings a smile to my face and inspires my spirit.

So, I thought I would share this week's lesson from my dear student to his teacher. We were in a hurry, as we often are, rushing to go inside for recess so that we could squeeze in a quick drink and restroom break before returning to class. Suddenly, he stopped in mid-stride. I turned to encourage him to walk quickly, and realized his reason for stopping. While keeping one hand on his walker, he bent down reaching with the other hand to pick a bright yellow dandelion, standing tall in the green grass. He rose slowly, dandelion in hand, and smiled at me with a second grade grin as he proudly offered me the treasure in his outstretched hand.

I smiled and thanked him for the gift, nodding my head as the humbling lesson soaked in. You see, life is full of dandelions (not my yard, mind you, because I am married to the Lawn King!). We've all heard the saying reminding us to "Stop and Smell the Roses". But, life isn't always full of roses. Things don't often go just as they should or come in the packages we would desire or expect. It's dandelions that often cover our path. Some may look at them as weeds...hardly worth noticing...a nuisance at best. Some may try to uproot them and get rid of every trace. But, some embrace the dandelions as a gift...accepting them and even seeing beauty in these durable, plentiful, proud yellow plants. Some take the time to see the gift in what others would see as a useless weed. Some are even willing to slow down and go to great lengths to appreciate the gift, and share it with someone else. It was a gift from his heart...a beautiful offering.

We can learn a lot from the heart of a child...and the glorious perspective they have. Here's to taking the time to "Stop and Pick the Dandelions".

13 comments:

Paige said...

Nicely said- AND if all else fails you can even fry and EAT the dandelions!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing that lovely story. We use to take dandelions and hold them under our chin, it was a way of seeing if you were telling the truth or not. Who hasn't taken the mature dandelions and blown on them? Do you know that my great grandmother would have us pick dandelions and she would make a wine with them. I look back now and think how amazing that was or how resourceful. I do know that way back when you would find allot more dandelions before we started to poison them. I don't know where this soapbox came from! How sweet of him to see the beauty in a weed and want to give you that beauty to enjoy.

Caroline said...

Such a awesome post & I know if it's at home or on our walk to school my 5 yr old always seems to find a dandelion to pick. Again such a great story, thanx 4 sharing it.:)
Caroline

Trisha Larson said...

Thank you. I needed to hear that story today.

Hugs,
Trisha

Jennifer Ross said...

Something we all need to do more often. Thank you for the reminder.

Love,
Jenny

Franchesca said...

Oh, this makes me want to cry!! I just love how children often have a way of reminding us how beautiful the little things in life are. I don't have any living children, but I teach all grades and they can be just precious!

April said...

Kelly, this post really touched me. Something I needed to read today. Thank you for sharing such a sweet moment. From a boy who may not contemplate all of the world's strife, sees beauty in the small things - and even offers it over as a gift, with a smile - reminds us what is truly important. I can imagine this little boy keeps your eyes open on a daily basis. I hope this school year brings you both great joy.

Karen said...

It is wonderful to be reminded of this. Children are usually good at teaching us lessons aren't they?

I wanted to let you know that I gave you 2 awards on my blog .

Blessdings,
Karen

Once A Mother said...

what a wonderful lesson to learn and to share. thank you for such an uplifting post.

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

Oh, such a sweet story. Yesterday, my 3 year old and i were rushing up the front walk and she stopped (almost pulling me over it was so sudden), and exclaimed, as she picked a dandelion I hadn't noticed from a long the sidewalk, "MOMMY, a BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL flower. For YOU!".. These kids sure give us a true perspective, don't they?

Kami said...

What a beautiful lesson. We have a lot of "dandelions" growing around us right now, so it is definitely an inspiration to hear this. Your blog always speaks straight to my heart and I hope you know how incredibly appreciated you are. You have been such an inspiration to me in more ways than one and I truly am blessed to have found your blog. Keep up the wonderful work :)

R said...

Thank you for that reminder!

Holly said...

Thanks Kelly! A great reminder that when there's dandelions we can still pick them and find enjoyment.