Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cowboy up, Chicken Little...More Things Dinah Said...

Last week was hard.

Going back to life and work so quickly after saying goodbye to Dinah seemed so surreal.

The weight of that reality for her family...heavy on our hearts, heavy on theirs....

A lot of heavy.

Tears fresh in my eyes as I walked into work, heavy with thoughts of her and images of grief-stricken faces parading through my mind.

Tuesday, Wednesday...

By Thursday, I awoke once more with the heavy. The heavy of cancer's fury, of another goodbye, of all the sorrow this world offers, the reality of death, the missing of my friend. I looked in the mirror at the dark circles, the pale face, the worn look of one who has lived a lot of life in thirty-five years. I sighed heavily.

Another day, really?

Then, her words...playing in my mind as they had so many times before.

"Cowboy up, Chicken Little. Just do the next thing."

She always called me Chicken Little. I have no idea why. She called her daughter, Christy, the same thing. A compliment indeed, since Christy is one of the most cool, beautiful, classy chicks I know. She has a lot of her mother in her. Dinah liked the saying "cowboy up"...meaning, "man up", "pull yourself up by your bootstraps". Dinah was a horse lover. I'm smiling now, picturing the cowboy boots under her casket. So Dinah.

"Just do the next thing" was a phrase spoken by Elizabeth Elliot...a phrase we share here, often when talking about grief. When life overwhelms us, when things hurt too much...just do the next thing. It might be: get out of bed, brush your teeth, get dressed, go to work. Keep it simple. Give yourself grace. Dinah loved it and said it often.

So, I cowboyed up...got ready for work, got into the car, put one foot in front of the other....did the next thing. And, the next, and the next.

I've been thinking of a couple other things she said to me when I was young and feisty.

"Life is a process, not an event."

"He makes all things beautiful in His time." (love this truth...love this song.)

Years ago, when I was frustrated and wanted to let someone have it...tell them how it is, she would say...

"What is your goal? What are your trying to achieve by saying that or doing that?"

Those words reminded me to have self-control. I learned to pray more and speak less. Now, the Lord has imparted much grace into my life, teaching me that He is faithful if I wait on Him. I'm so grateful for Dinah's wisdom and patience as she taught my young, head-strong, opinionated self to hold my tongue.

The gift of her life is ongoing. Many are missing her...and we will miss her until we enter heaven's gates. But, until then...it is her voice in our heads along with His strength, encouraging us to cowboy up and do the next thing.

To read more nuggets of wisdom from Dinah, click here.

P.S. I just had to come back and add another quote mentioned by my pastor this morning that I so loved. I think Dinah would have liked this one, too. It was on a magnet that Pastor James' mom, Joyce (another woman I dearly love), had on her refrigerator. It read: "Don't try to outstubborn your mother."

Good stuff.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

More great words of wisdom :) I just thought of something earlier that my Mom used to say, because we were making spaghetti and it reminded me if she got too much of a certain spice in her sauce, she'd say something like, "I kinda stumped my toe on the salt." Or something like that. LOL! I love how our words are left behind as our legacy. And how we end up saying them too, just like our loved ones.

Jennifer Ross said...

Yes, that is good stuff!! :)

She was one smart cookie! lol I hope that as your share Dinah's love and wisdom with us, it's helping you piece together your healing as well. I love to read about her. Please keep writing about her as you remember more beautiful memories. You're really making her life count.... or rather, live on.

Jenilee said...

those are all some great quotes! great things to remember when life is hard.

Holly said...

I sure like Dinah's wisdom!