Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Our Trip to the Creation Museum ~ A Good Friday Indeed

*If you haven't watched our Grace for Today television appearance, please click here to read the post and watch the video.



On Good Friday, My youngest son James and I went to the Creation Museum, just south of Cincinnati, in Petersburg Kenntucky. It was a beautiful, sunny day...an uncharacteristically warm eighty degrees. The "Tims" had to work, so it was just the two of us. Usually, I spend Good Friday reading the gospel account of Jesus' death and resurrection, watching a Passion play, re-watching The Passion...or something to reflect on His sacrifice and what it means to my life. I was wondering how a visit to the Creation Museum would tie in with that, but I would soon find out. Since our church was going as a group and we were getting discounted tickets, it was too good of an opportunity to pass it up.

So, we packed some snacks and hopped into my friend Susan's Suburban early Friday morning, as the sun was still awakening. With the sound of three Nintendo DS's in the background, we chatted away, looking forward to the adventure awaiting us.

(Thank you, Susan, for driving us...you know I don't like those crazy four lane highways!)


We were welcomed by a giant dinosaur at the entrance...a promise of things to come. Oh...the anticipation. I love adventures like this. What does God have in store for us?



Upon our arrival, we were told that the cost for the tickets, was paid in full, due to the generosity of another church/pastor that wanted to bless our church family. We didn't have to pay one penny to enter the museum! We were promptly handed a pass that meant we didn't have to stand in line, and we were given a ticket to the planetarium, as well. I have a name for moments like this: It was a "Daddy's Little Girl Moment". They are sweet moments of blessing when you just feel God's love shining down on you...when you know that He sees you, loves you, and just wants to bless His precious daughter. You feel like "Daddy's little girl". At least, that's how I feel when that happens.

Paid in full...

The message was not lost on me. He whispered to my heart, "Your debt was paid in full." I smiled...That's what my Jesus did for me on that Good Friday so many years ago. He paid my sin debt...in full.

It was a day filled with the glory and splendor of God's creation...





Viewed through child-like eyes of wonder...



Fun moments of little-boy silliness...






And moments of little-boy sweetness...












A little more silliness...





Being still...

...and knowing He is God...







The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
~ Genesis 2:7






James probably watched the video shown in the above photos five times...in awe of the miracle of God making Adam from dust and breathing the breath of life into him.

A Garden of Paradise, made by a loving Creator...where every living thing dwelled in harmony with one another...



And then...the serpent...hanging from the tree...



The fruit...the lies...temptation...disobedience...sin...the fall...



The result...




Death...grief...broken fellowship with God...guilt...disease...pain...hard work...broken relationships...

None of it existed before sin...oh the cost...

It was no longer the world God made for us...No longer what our loving Father intended for His creation...











How it broke my heart to see what God intended for us...to feel His love in beholding the creation, and then to see the effects of the ugliness of sin on the beautiful world He made...

But in His love and mercy...even in our disobedience...He made a way for redemption...

We chose the ugliness of sin...while in the midst of paradise...

He gave His Son...so that we may know Paradise eternally with Him...so that we may be restored in our brokenness, healed from our disease, freed and forgiven from the bondage of sin, so that our grief may be turned to joy...


Behold...the empty tomb...



Evidence of His everlasting love...

It was a Good Friday, indeed...especially when we know...that Sunday's coming...

13 comments:

Holly said...

The museum looks awesome!! I can't wait to go!

Debbie Petras said...

My Kelly, that looks like a great place to visit and learn. How wonderful to have the opportunity to spend time there with your children. Where is this museum located?

Jennifer Ross said...

WOW!! I would LOVE to go there sometime! Those pictures look very interesting. I really like the door. That door really represents so much truth in our lives. Things I'd rather not remember.

That boy of yours looks just like his dad! :~)

xx

Carrie said...

My hubby and I dream of going there as a family one day! So glad you enjoyed it! ;)

Jenilee said...

We LOVE the Creation Museum! We were there last Oct and are going again with our homeschool group on april 30th. yeah! Loved your post! You know, you drove within about 10 minutes of my house down 75! :) thanks for linking this memory up with us!

Unknown said...

I LOVE that place! How awesome someone paid for you all!! So glad you had an awesome Good Friday!

Leigh Ann said...

I have been wanting to go for so long,,,you have convinced me that is a must doo this summer! Blessings~
Leigh Ann

Joyeful said...

Wow, what an incredible museum! And what a beautiful "daddy's girl" moment--I love that you call it that : )

I'm going to go watch your interview now!

Caroline said...

Wow what a neat place and I think my kids would enjoy that especially my son. Thanx for sharing this.
Caroline

Linda said...

Lynnette and Kyle can get in free because they are members. We have talked about going there with them on vacation sometime. But we live in Kansas, so it is a journey to get there. (:>)

So glad that you enjoyed it. it looks like a great place to go. And that is so neat that your admission was paid in full!

Yes, that is a gift from your Heavenly daddy for sure! (:>)

Once again...I am glad you got that television spot. And you did a great job my friend.

Love, Linda

Lori said...

What a great place to go on Good Friday!! Thanks for sharing - I loved the "Daddy's Little Girl Moments"!!

I'm going to try to get my walk post up today - never got around to it yesterday!

Unknown said...

I want to go there SO BAD!!! We have a lifetime membership- have since it opened, but still haven't been able to go. Looks awesome!!

Glad you had a fun day. :)
Love,
Lynnette

jamers said...

Great pictures and what sweet insights! :)