Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Thursday, September 17, 2009

September Wind

I can feel the September winds blowing in, filled with intoxicating memories that swirl around me, pulling me to that place of remembering moments I ache to experience once more and moments I never want to revisit.

Her birthday was in September. She turned fifty in a hospital bed, smiling as she ate a piece of my famous peanut butter cream pie...laughing carelessly with Pastor James (who incidentally, if I recall is among the two people in the whole world that did not profess my pie as the most wonderful thing in all the land!!). I was wishing she didn't have to endure the treatments much longer. She was determined to continue fighting.

I remember the day they said the word cancer. Actually, the oncologist spouted off a thousand other unrecognizable words. The kind of words that doctors use when they don't really want to tell you the findings. Words are easy to hide behind.

So, I finally said, "Are you saying she does not have cancer?"

"No," he said. "I am saying she most certainly does have cancer."

We walked out of the room, after she promptly told him that she would make him famous when she beat this cancer. He pulled me aside and said, "I need you to understand. It's not good. What we're dealing with...It's very serious...it's bad."

I guess it was easier to tell me than to look into her determined, beautiful eyes and say those horrible words. I appreciated his honesty, though. From the places I've walked, I'd rather know what I'm dealing with head-on. Once you know that you are not invincible...once you know that it's possible to lose someone you love...it's kind of always with you. That possibility.

I acted strong, nodding to the doctor, smiling at my mother. I felt the room start to spin, as I struggled to steady myself. I thought, "If I could just get to the bathroom before anyone notices." I barely made it inside the door, when I collapsed against the wall, my body shaking with the sobs of a helpless little girl...not the strong woman of faith who had been carried more than once through the sea of grief by her loving Savior. But, a little girl...whose mother was filled with a hideous disease that would steal her health, her body, her mind, and her life...but couldn't kill her spirit. The sea of grief swirled around me, taking me captive with swells of images from other times when death's darkness stood mocking me...as he threatened to steal the ones I love. I resisted crying "NO" from the depths of my soul as the memories washed over me, "I'm sorry there are no heartbeats...they're gone"..."a condition known as Potter's Syndrome"..."incompatible with life"...and, now..."cancer...it's not good...very bad". I cried out to God, begging him to spare her...to spare all of us. The sorrow had it's way with me in that oncology office bathroom. Then I wiped my tears and walked out, stunned to face a life that held that ugly word.

She had "cancer of unknown origin" that they think possibly started in her lungs. It had spread to her lymph nodes, her brain, her bones...it was everywhere! They said she had two weeks to six months. Two weeks? I couldn't even process that. Thirteen months and tons of chemo and radiation treatments later, she sat in that hospital bed on her fiftieth birthday, lighting the room with her smile.

Growing up, we had a tumultuous relationship. I was so head strong...always wanting to establish my independence. I spent most of her life missing all of her gifts and her beauty...all of the things about her that made almost everyone who knew her fall in love with her. She had that kind of gift about her. She was so beautiful that people were held captive by her, even after the cancer treatments left her bald and thin as a rail. Didn't matter. She glowed with beauty. I spent most of her life missing it...but when that word was spoken, everything between us disappeared. All I could see when I looked at her was the person God created her to be. All of the barriers between us tumbled helplessly when that word was spoken, and we could hug and laugh and share our hearts. As often happens, there were precious gifts, even in the face of such hideousness.

A few weeks after her birthday, we made the trip we had taken so many times down river road...the one with all the big beautiful, extravagant houses. She had one picked out on that road. Only, hers was a little cottage with some hanging baskets on the porch. She always did prefer the simple things in life. The leaves were a myriad of colors, exploding with the majesty of fall as we drove the winding path to the hospital for a visit to the ER to help manage her pain. It was just a "routine" pain management visit. We should have gone home later that day. We made jokes in the ER and giggled. I looked over and she was out cold...resting from the medicine they had given her. I felt the relief a mother feels when her baby is resting, knowing that she was not in pain at that moment.

They decided to keep her in the hospital over night. But it soon became clear that this time was not like all the others. She wasn't making sense and could barely wake up. When she did, she seemed like a little girl. I realized that I couldn't leave her in the hospital when I saw the condition she was in the next morning. She stayed for three days, and our very large family surrounded us as we tried to make sense of what was happening to our mother. In and out of consciousness...barely coherent. Where had she gone? I was just talking to her hours before. I can't describe to you what transpired next. The memories overwhelm me.

All of her doctors agreed that the next step was to take her to the Hospice Center or a nursing home. The cancer had spread throughout her body and it was only a matter of time. They said, "Maybe 48 hours." We had promised her that we would not put her in a nursing home, so we reluctantly chose the Hospice Center, thinking that it would probably only be a few days. We decided right away that we wouldn't leave her alone. So, we stayed there with her...sometimes all together, sometimes taking shifts. The Hospice people were amazing...and we are so grateful for their compassionate care.

Forty-eight hours turned into four weeks. For four agonizing weeks, she suffered in a way I never knew it was possible for a human being to suffer. We didn't sleep, except for a couple hours here and there when we would collapse out of exhaustion and then we would awaken in a panic. I sang to her, prayed over her, read scriptures...as I've described before. What I haven't described is the depth of suffering she endured. And I won't...I can't. Only the ones who were there can understand what it was like. All I can say, is that it shook me to the core...trembling the very foundation of my faith. There were, of course, glimpses of joy in the midst of sorrow and gifts...even in the pain. She would awaken sometimes and we hung on every word, when she was able to speak. We never wanted to leave...desperate to soak in every moment we were given with her...and wanting to be there, when she was finally carried Home.

I won't lie...I begged God to take her Home. The suffering was so much...and I couldn't bear to see her in such agony. But the moment she left us, I realized that her leaving left us without her. And, the missing came. The missing was like nothing I ever thought possible, either. And, if anything, it has intensified with time. Every September - October, when the leaves change and start to fall, and the fall winds blow...the missing washes over me anew...and the memories flood my mind. I even resist sometimes...wanting to just keep my eyes on Jesus and rest in His comfort...wanting to just enjoy the land of the living. But, almost involuntarily, my body reacts. I can't sleep in September and my heart aches with the missing of her so deeply, I am overcome. The memories flood my mind. The sights and smells and feelings of fall all bring with it that time.

I walked into her house this afternoon to let out her dog (which we do for my stepfather every afternoon), and the ache was stronger that I could contain. I felt suddenly so desperate to see her sitting on her couch. It's been three years, and I don't know when I'll be able to walk into her house and not feel disappointed that she isn't laying on her couch. I walked through the house, stopping in the kitchen as I remembered the feeling of "home" when we would stand there, laughing about when we were kids and the silly things we did. We would tell stories in the kitchen. I washed countless dishes in that kitchen (those who have known me a long time always laugh, because it seems I'm always doing the dishes...and have been since they've known me!) I thought about how if she were here, she would laugh at my "teaching Timothy to drive" stories and annoy me as she told him the stories of "teaching me to drive when I was 16"! I can't explain to you the bittersweetness of those memories or the depth of the ache. I can't explain how it feels to stand in the kitchen of your childhood home and feel like your "home" is no longer. It disappeared with her. But, if you have felt that kind of missing...if you have lost someone you love like that...someone who was your constant...your definition of family, you know.

There are so many things that a mother fills in our lives. Sometimes I wonder where she begins and I end. So much of our mothers are part of the person we become. You know, you can't really brag about your kids to anyone but your mother. No one else gets it, cares, or loves them like she does...like you do. She would love to hear about Timothy going to the Homecoming Dance, and James scoring a goal in soccer. She would be excited to hear her grandson's name on the radio for having the lowest round of golf. She would relish it and wallow in it like Grandma's do.

For the rest of the time I walk this earth, something...someone will be missing. Several someones. Eventually that is true for all of us, and I know that. We will all lose someone we love. I also know that there is comfort in the arms of our heavenly Father...that one day, we will see them again. One day, I'll laugh with my mother and hold my babies. I know, until that day, His grace is sufficient and He will carry me...I know all of that. But, right now...I'm just aching with missing...swept into the memories of a September wind.

15 comments:

April said...

Oh Kelly, I can see how your heart breaks this time of year as the all the things that surrounded you three years, make themselves present once again. Thank you for sharing your mother with us again, her spirit sounds as though everyone was grateful for having known her. And while she suffered in her bed in those last days, I know she would be willing to walk that road because God asked it of her. She was a fighter.

If is wonderful that your children have great memories of their grandmother. You can continue her legacy by sharing every story you have of your mother, with them. Pass down her life through your generations and share with them the beauitful woman, mother, protector, giver, wonderful spirit that your mother was.

God bless you this time of year when your weary seems too much to handle.

Kami said...

It's stories like this one that make me believe that God just MUST have a window from Heaven that our loved ones can watch us through. You know that she must've rejoiced with the homecoming dance, the lowest golf score, the joys of being a mother and a grandmother. It sounds as though she was a truly amazing woman ... if that's the case, you have definitely followed in her footsteps.

I appreciate that you have shared this story and I pray that God will fill the void in your heart that aches for your mom with loving peace.

Jennifer Ross said...

This post touched my heart. I can only imagine the pain that you went through and still go through. Your mom just sounds like such a lovely woman. She is able to live on, because you keep her alive through your memories and all that you share with us. I've never met her, and yet I feel like I know her beauty, only because you have been diligent to share with us the memories of the one you call, mother.

Love,
Jenny

Christmas with Kasey said...

((hugs))Thank you for sharing.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Kelly, your writing is absolutely amazing. You took me in, feeling each and every pain along with you.
You are truly an accomplished writter. This was one of the most breath taking posts I have ever read. Thank you for sharing your story. Oh how I wish I could write like that. I would love for my thoughts to flow into such beautiful words.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. I was only 31 when I lost my mother who was 56. That was 27 years ago. I knew her, so was a wonderful women, but she was terribly despressed most of the time. When she passed I knew she was in a better place but oh how I wish I could have known her longer.
Oh how I wish she could be here today with all the medicines available for depression. I do know that I will see her again and that does bring me comfort.

Take care and God Bless.

The Writer Chic said...

Wow, Kelly. What a moving post. I am so sorry that this beautiful time of year brings with it a bittersweet ache. I am praying for you.

TheRagan3 said...

I read your post and wept as I could hear my own mother speaking about my grandma in the same way you have spoken about your sweet mother. I don't think anyone can really understand the sorrow that a daughter feels when mom isn't there anymore, no matter what their relationship had been. It is evident that your heart aches for your Momma. Thank you for sharing her with us. She sounds like a strong loving woman. I pray that God grants your heart peace and comfort during this time of year.

Erinn

The Dortenzos said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, your life with us!!! Many prayers go with you tonight and through this time of the year as I know emotional struggles can be more exhausting than physical! May God have His strong and merciful arms around you in this time and may you allow His embrace to hold you! He LOVES you and I believe that He feels our pain--give it to Him, he will walk along side you!! Blessings my friend!

Franchesca said...

I am sorry for your losses. I cannot imagine losing my mother. Our relationship has changed since Jenna died, but she will always be my mother - the one who birthed me into this world. I am moved by your words and sorry that this season brings all those memories back. I think your mother would be proud of you. You help so many. xx

robsfarmgirl said...

Kelly,
I really don't have any words to say other than I'm sorry. I can't imagine your pain but I am praying for you.
Thoughts and prayers,
Julie

Holly said...

Kelly, I am crying for you. I can feel how much you love and miss her through your words. You described your mom so beautifully and I am sorry she had to suffer in those last days. How very difficult that must have been. I don't know whether our loved ones can see us or not but if they can I know she is watching you and your family. How proud she must be!!

Tonya said...

Dear Kelly,

I feel and understand your pain. The longing for your mom. The one person who loved you the most on this earth. A love that you can only understand once you have children of your own.

April is that hard month for me. My mom died 12 days before her 70th birthday. She had wanted a big party, and I was going to give her one. But her time on earth was over before that day came. She also had cancer and didn't die peacefully. I prayed for the Lord to take her because I couldn't stand to see her in such despair. I never thought I'd pray for such a thing because I of my deep love for her...but that's exactly why I prayed it. I loved her and wanted her pain and suffering to be over.

My brother and stepfather wouldn't let me tell her she was dying. There were things I longed to say to her, but if I had, she surely would have known her time was very, very short. I have to believe deep down she knew, but she played it off really well if she did. I will forever regret listening to them. They felt she would just give up if she knew the truth.

My heart aches and breaks for you. For your pain. For your longing. For that hole that can only be filled by her. I've seen her picture on your blog and she was a beautiful woman - inside and out! Kind of like her daughter...

Love and blessings to you,
Tonya

Jen said...

I believe that no one can love your kids like you, but if there is a close second, it would be grandparents...it makes me so sad to read this.. I too have a wonderful relationship with my mom, and she is the only person that would step in and help when my daughter was ill..really step in, learn the machines, schedules,etc..just to let me rest for an hour.. and since ella's passing, I sometimes find myself comforting her..anyway, I can tell how much you love your mother through your beautiful words..and I can imagine how proud she is of you and your ministry.. thank you for sharing..

Unknown said...

I just popped over for a visit (before starting school work with the kids) and now I have a huge lump in my throat. Oh, my goodness... what a blog post!

Kelly, I'm so sorry you're without your mother - for now. I hate cancer. I altogether hate sickness. It's wretched and awful. Yet, the sweet peace our Savior gives... the joy in the midst of our suffering... the smile on your mother's face in the midst of her trial... is a beautiful testimony of the sufficient grace of our Lord. Glorifying him with our lives and when it's time to leave this earth - that's what it's all about.

Thank you for the perspective you gave me this morning. I'm going to rejoice in this Monday. I'm not facing any big trials and I'm thankful for this season of peace. I know that the winds can change at any moment, but I will rejoice in TODAY. (and I'll rejoice in every day - even when it takes more effort)

I'm sorry for this sad season in your life. Just remember what's to come friend. And just think of your mother's joy today as she dwells with her Lord and Savior and experiences perfect joy and perfect peace.

Love you.
Lynnette

September said...

Kelly,,
Reading through my blogs once again, and read yours slowly- twice.
My heart was so touched by your mom's life.
I am sure that the Lord gives your mom opportunities to see the beautiful testimony of your life.
I miss reading your posts, and am now back to my favorite blogs again.
Hope you are finding some special moments in these Fall days!
This is my favorite time of the year.