Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Our First House and a Walking With You Update



I have so missed participating in Lynnette's Wednesdays Walk down memory lane, which is now called So We Don't Forget. If you haven't noticed, I haven't been much of a blogger lately. I'm falling behind on ministry work, and adjusting to our school/work schedule as I've returned to my full time school year job. So, this morning, I was delighted to awaken to fog and the subsequent two-hour delay that has filled my heart with joy this morning. So, here I am...graced with an extra two hours.

Today, Lynnette has instructed us to share about our first house after we were married. More than fifteen years ago, Tim and I stood together...two starry-eyed teenagers making big vows before God and a couple friends...shaking under the weight of such promises. We lived in a one bedroom apartment on the edge of our tiny town, with our baby boy. His crib was in our room. The apartment complex was newly built. And we were the first people to live there. It was clean and simple. The kitchen was small, but big enough for a little table and chairs and a high chair. There was a tiny living room, our bedroom, and a very large bathroom. The bathroom was big enough to house a small washer and dryer, which was added later. I think it raised our rent to $25 more per month...but it was definitely money well spent. Prior to that, I was carting our laundry to the laundromat. So, the washer and dryer were a welcome gift!

As a matter of fact, our current dryer (2 dryers after the aforementioned dryer) recently broke down. We ordered a new one, but it hasn't arrived yet. I, sadly, do not have a clothesline. So, wet clothes were hanging throughout our house. I just did not want to go to the laundromat...ugg. I stubbornly stuck it out for a few days, but laundry is a daily issue here with athletes, a hard-working husband (the kind who gets very dirty and sweaty), and myself...having to wear actual clothes everyday to go to work instead of shorts and sweat pants. (Oh...how I love my sweat pants.) So, this weekend, I found myself back at the laundromat to dry some of our clothes (as we wait for our dryer). Nothing has changed there in the past fifteen years, but I was reminded of a time when everything was new and exciting. It was a time when I didn't really mind going to the laundromat. Tim and I were so young and full of life and possibility. We were just so glad to be on our own and doing things our own way. You know how desperately you want to get out from under your parents' wings and prove that you can live life on your own? Well, at least that's how we felt. Funny how I'd give anything to be back in my mother's arms now that she is gone. But back then, I was stubborn and full of vinegar. Enough to go to the laundromat and live in a one-bedroom apartment and work as a waitress to help my young husband who was himself trying to finish school and working at a machine shop, support our little family. I suppose vinegar can work for good, too. I'll try and remember that when I see the vinegar in my own teenage son.

My favorite thing about that time, besides the sheer joy of having our own place to live, was going to the grocery store. It was so much fun to buy what we wanted to eat. My mom was pretty health conscious and also needed to be frugal. So, we rarely had junk food in our house. Never pop and few chips. Well, I've never met a Dorito I didn't like, and I love Pepsi. So, it was on. I was like a kid in a candy store (well...actually, at 18, I pretty much WAS a kid in a candy store!). Hawaiian punch, Chips Ahoy Cookies, pizza, pop, Doritos, spaghetti...along with diapers and baby food of course...filled our cart. And my eyes danced with glee at the festival of junk food! Good times! Of course, I gained weight and learned that it's not all gold that glitters...but, it was a sweet time of simple joys. And, it makes me smile to think back on it. We lived there less than a year before we moved to a larger two bedroom duplex with an attached garage and a laundry room. That laundry room was glorious! At the tender age of nineteen, we built our first house...a little three bedroom where we still live today.

Such sweet memories!

Better is a little with the fear of the Lord,
Than great treasure with trouble.
Better is a dinner of herbs where love is,
Than a fatted calf with hatred.
~Proverbs 15:16-17

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walking With You Update: Participation is down on Walking With You (and, I even lost a follower this week!). I will be doing a Walking With You post tomorrow about what it will be like to meet our children in heaven one day, and hope you are able to participate...as we focus on the joy set before us. Then, I am thinking of revamping our format a little. Maybe we could do a study on heaven, maybe just post a comforting verse, with a little commentary to encourage those who grieve. I also thought of switching it to once a month. My desire for Walking With You is to reach out in love and encouragement to grieving families....that they may know they are not walking alone. I hope it has and is ministering to the needs of those families. I know I have been blessed to walk with each of you. But, with participation dwindling, I am considering whether to continue what we are doing...or change it up a little. I don't want to stop it all together, because I know from emails that people are reading even if they don't participate. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya on buying groceries for the first time! I was amazed at how much ice-cream cost! Thanks for sharing! I loved reading this!

Crystal Theresa said...

I haven't kept up with participating with Walking With You because I came in late and I feel like I can't move forward without catching up on the earlier ones, and then I just get overwhelmed by all I want to write... and with each week I just feel more behind. Does that even make sense? Anyway, I do still read and have found new blogs to follow because of Walking With You that have brought me much comfort. I think once a month, would definitely make it easier for me to catch up, then keep up. I definitely do not want you to discontinue.

Linda said...

Sweet memories of young love and the first year together in your little apartment.

It seems everyone is slacking off on blogging these days, because life is so busy. But that's ok. I know it is different when you are retired. I always look forward to Wednesdays when I get to read the blogs that my friends have posted and kind of keep up with them.

We just got home from vacation and leave again on Friday for Sante Fe. So, I probably won't be blogging for awhile either. Unless the place we are staying has wireless capabilities.

Back to the "good ole days" when we were had our first homes,...It was fun to kind of "play house" and get to do what ever we wanted and shop for the foods we wanted, I agree.

But I also remember having to put items back when I went to check out because I didn't have enough money. After that I had a little clicker that added up my purchases so that when I got to the check out line I wasn't over budget!

There were struggles for sure. I kinda like these days better when I don't have to worry about things quite so much.

God is so good to get us through anything and everything. I am so glad that He has been with us throughout our journey,...even in the times I was ignoring Him.

Oh the Mercy, Love and Grace, of our Wonderful Lord!

Have a good day Kelly.

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Jennifer Ross said...

....oh, the memories of being "young." My shopping trips to the store did get a little out of hand.... lol

I didn't participate in last weeks Walking With You, because I felt as if I had already written on all of the things that I do in memory of Isaiah. I have had so much healing in writing these posts out! I feel like we wrote about every detail in a perfect order. To end it on what we feel it will be like in heaven with our children would be wonderful. I just don't know how we should go about continuing the walk. I agree that we should be here for the people who do read every week. I'll just have to pray about any ideas.... You have done an awesome job setting up this walk together, and I am truly greatful that I was able to be a part of it. I have dug so deep in my heart through it all. I have laid my heart right out on the table for all......

Love & God Bless,
Jenny

Denise said...

I enjoyed your memories.

The Dortenzos said...

Hi fried! Sorry I have not been participating in Walking with You! Sometimes the magnitude of writing down all that is in my heart on a particular week is overwhelming and quite painful HOWEVER I always read along and pray over the topic and the feelings and memories it brings! Its a wonderful journey whether or not we all write or not! I think it brings us to our knees and brings healing through prayer and memories! Thanks for your ministry!

Kristin said...

I really enjoyed reading your story!

Holly said...

Haha when you mentioned the junk food I thought that totally sounded like me. :) I am so a junk food junkie.

Sorry you lost a follower. That's happened to me many times but I hope with the one you lost several more take their place! I think it would be good to make Walking with You once a month. Perhaps people get so busy that once a week is too overwhelming? I know at times things can get so busy. Maybe we could do a post where we describe our children? Either physically or their personalities? We haven't done that have we? I'm having a moment where I can't remember...

Jenilee said...

welcome back to lynnette's and yeah for a two hour delay!! :)

Unknown said...

Sweet memories!

I'm with you, I loved to grocery shop when we first got married. Something about filling your cabinets with WHATEVER you want! ha!

My mom was a great cook and a great shopper - we always had yummy food in the house, but it was fun planning it all myself. :)

Such fun to read about everybody's first homes. Most of us were pretty broke and lived in small places. Just think of how much character we built!

Love ya.
Lynnette
PS I think blog activity is just down - period. I'm just trying to wait it out before I make any real changes. Perhaps it'll pick back up - surely people aren't getting bored with blogging! Are they? Hmmmmm.....

Debbie Petras said...

Kelly, I'm so glad you visited me at Heart Choices for this meme. I loved visiting your blog and this is my first visit. How funny what you wrote about the junk food. Isn't it like human nature to 'rebel' against what is best for us? I can definitely identify. I love though how you mentioned how you would remember if and when your son went through his own time of doing his own thing. So understanding and yet you wrote the Scripture at the end which was perfect.

I loved reading about your fist place!

The Writer Chic said...

Kelly, I just wanted to say that even though I wasn't yet in a place where I could actively participate in Walking With You, I benefitted tremendously from it. You did well, girlfriend.

Jess said...

Hi Kelly, I just wanted to tell you, I have really been enjoying walking with you, and have been blessed each time I have participated, but also the weeks that I just read along. I struggle to keep up on a weekly basis, and also did feel behind because I started late. This particular one, I really wanted to do, but we were out of town without computer access and it had closed before I could jump in. I'm sorry participation has been down, but please know that what you are doing has been a great encouragement to me and I know to so many others!! I haven't been good at connecting with others through my blog, so it's also been good to know that some people have read my posts through walking with you. Thanks!!! I want to keep participating as I can, whether it is weekly or monthly.