Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Traveling Food Fest 2011 - The Quest for the Best Strawberry Frozen Lemonade

We are knee deep in vacation bible school week, and it's a hot one. Going to surpass 100 degrees this week...and we are feeling every sticky inch of it. HOT TAMALES!

So, I thought it was a good time to report some recent findings...after, ahem, some extensive research (that may or may not have included some lunch eating with my Tracy-girl). The matter at hand: Who has the best strawberry frozen lemonade? I know, it's a really important question. Bet you are just sitting on the edge of your seat, desperate to know my findings. Hee hee.

(Sorry that I don't have pictures to entice you further, as you await this incredibly pertinent information.)

O.k., here's what we know...

I have been having a summer fling, an outright love affair if you will, with McDonalds Frozen strawberry lemonade. Now, I am hoping this doesn't cause an uproar. Because, I mentioned this on facebook, and it turns out that people had some strong feelings about this subject...and did not share my love for the sweet and sour nectar that is the McDonald's strawberry frozen lemonade. It's a forbidden love, perhaps. But, if loving my lemonade is wrong...then, I don't want to be right!

I wasn't even deterred when a dear facebook friend said that she couldn't finish hers and that it tasted like cleaner. Nope, I enjoyed both the consistency and the taste of my lemonade and returned time and time again for this summertime treat.

To further my quest, I tried the frozen strawberry lemonade at Applebees. I have to admit, although it pains me a bit to say, that the Applebees lemonade did edge out McDonalds on taste. It was the perfect blend of strawberry sweetness and lemonade sour. Not even a hint of the aforementioned "cleaner" taste. But, the problem came when I slurped away, struggling to get the lemony goodness into the straw. I sat thirstily waiting for the drink to melt enough for me to be able to slurp it up. It was frustrating and, quite frankly not worth the effort. The consistency was all wrong. So, I would have to say that McDonalds frozen lemonade wins, because I can't have frustration interrupting my bliss when spending quality time with a frozen summer drink.

The third test was held at Panera. I LOVE Panera's regular lemonade, so I may have set the bar too high. Definitely should have lowered my expectations, because when I took a couple sips of Panera's version of the strawberry lemonade, my face wrinkled up, and I shook my head. This was no frozen strawberry lemonade. It was all kinds of wrong.

I looked at it and declared aloud, "You call yourself a frozen strawberry lemonade? You are not!!"

You see, I expect my summery lemonade treats to be fruity, not creamy. This drink was a little lemonade with a milky strawberry smoothie type concoction. Blech. I'm not even sure what they were thinking, but it certainly wasn't what I expected. I generally love everything about Panera. Good lemonade. Delicious breads, soups, and sandwiches. Most of the time, I am all kinds of happy and satisfied by Panera. But, their frozen strawberry lemonade...not so much. Not at all. Two thumbs down and a big toe.

So...that leaves McDonalds as the current reigning winner of the best strawberry frozen lemonade. I know many of you may have strong opinions on these controversial findings...and that's o.k. However, I can't help but think that the search isn't over. It seems there has to be a better option out there somewhere. If you have a suggestion, I'm open. You don't have to ask me twice. It's a tough job...researching frozen strawberry lemonades...but I'm willing to take one for the team.

If you agree or disagree with my findings, I'd love to hear your thoughts! What are your favorite summer "cool-me-down" drinks?
----------------------------
P.S. Please keep praying for Tug. I will continue to post updates on his condition on this post.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I like the strawberry lemonade at Ruby Tuesdays...do you have those where you live? Yum~o! We don't have those here, but I drink them when we go to Branson, Mo.

Kristin said...

I've been wanting to try that frozen strawberry lemonade at McDonalds, and since I don't have the other restaurants you mentioned around here, I guess I'm in luck! Thanks for the review! :D

Holly said...

I agree with Linda! There's this strawberry lemonade thingy at Ruby Tuesdays that is just awesome and I always get it when I go. It's been a while since I've been there and I'm not even sure if they still have it but it was GOOD!

I tried the McD's one and wasn't impressed at all. The flavors just seemed off to me and I couldn't even drink half of it.

Spud said...

I am not a strawberry lemonade drinker, but your post made me laugh out loud. You are so silly!

Jenilee said...

yum! perfect for these HOT days we have been having!!!

Cecilia said...

I love a real Coke iccee on a hot day. I say real because if it isn't made with Coca-Cola I usually don't like it. Lucky for me Sam's Club sells them for a great price so I can reward myself for grocery shopping :). Good luck on your Stawberry Lemonade quest!

Jennifer Ross said...

lol! I have a question for you...... frozen strawberry lemonade or Doritos? :OD

This post makes me want to go and find me a cold lemonade! mmmm