Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Friday, October 17, 2008

Gifts and Flowers

I'm not the best gift giver. I try, and I want to give good gifts...but apparently, gift-giving is not one of my gifts. (Lame pun intended.) I don't send cards to my friends on their birthdays. I buy wedding gifts an hour before the wedding, or sometimes just put money in a card I purchase on the way to the wedding, or even at the drugstore in between the wedding and reception. Even my "well-thought-out" attempts have not brought glee to my receivers. My husband has disliked almost every gift I've purchased for him in the last 15 years. So, in some cases it's my disorganization and procrastination that's causing the gift-giving deficiency. And, in other cases, it's my cluelessness as to what my loved ones will love. (Example: I brought my brother such lousy gifts every year of his life that the one time I bought a good one, he didn't even try to hide his shock. He held it up and said, "This is awesome! Did you really buy this? This is from you?")I am pathetically gift-giving challenged.

So, you can understand my dismay, when on the first day of school, I looked in my mailbox to see the committee sign-up sheet. All the blanks were full except one. The Gift and Flower Committee. And all the names were crossed off the list of those who were expected to sign up for their duties, except one. Mine.

This put a major wrench in my I'm Just Gonna plans. I really "didn't wanna" have any part of the Gift and Flower Committee, and despite all my promises and determination to not complain and to start the year positive, I whined and protested a little. It's not that I mind doing my part. I don't. I would serve on other committees. It's just that I am so inadequate, so ill-equipped, so out of touch with the social-goings-on at work. I mean, in addition to my gift-giving deficiencies, I am the last person to know when anything happens at work or in the lives of my co-workers. It's really all I can do to get my own family where they need to be each day and to tend to their needs. So, it is a very real possibility that I will inadvertently miss some important event in someone's life. The flowers or card won't be sent...the gift will not be purchased. That would be horrible, and I am living in fear of that very thing.

The Bible says that we are a "new creation in Jesus". And, you know, He chooses some funny ways to work in our lives to make us that new creation. So, I'm sure it's no accident that I'm on the Gift and Flower Committee. It's meant to stretch and grow me into a more organized, conscientious, gift-giver. And, even though I was at the local grocery store choosing a card for Boss's Day (which was yesterday, in case you didn't know...I mean doesn't everyone know that?) at 7:30a.m. yesterday morning...all was well. The gift and card were delivered. And, hopefully our boss was blessed...'cause blessing others really is what giving gifts is about, right?

I'm Just Gonna...I'm Just Gonna...I'm Just Gonna...

2 comments:

DanaMichelle said...

You are such a special person and I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to meet you and get to know you! You are a gift! And you know something, sometimes the best gift you can give a person is the gift of yourself. You have the gift of making people feel comfortable and special. I would be honored to walk in your shoes for a day, however mismatched and uneven those shoes may be! Your blog is wonderful. I am new to this blogging world myself, but watchout! I think I have found something to fill those two extra minutes I might have each day!

Unknown said...

I agree. You are such a sweet person and I can tell that just through blogs and notes. Thank you for all you do! You are a blessing and an inspiration.