Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Because Babies Don't Keep...And Neither do Teenagers

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow,
So quiet down cobwebs,
Dust, go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep.


~ This little poem is in Timothy's baby book...

I remember reading it, as we rocked and he lay peacefully in my arms more than sixteen years ago. I remember soaking it in, not yet knowing how quickly that sweet time would pass. No one tells you that babies grow up. We mothers know it...no one should need to tell us. But, somehow the intoxicating euphoria of a sweet babe cuddled in our arms keeps us from the inevitable truth.

I've been in a bit of a funk lately (and by lately, I think I mean a couple years!)...trying to find my place as no longer a mother of littles, adjusting to being back to work and another school year, letting go of the old...embracing the new, resisting the memories blowing in with the September winds. I find myself retreating some, circling the wagons, nestling in to soak in this season before it passes like all the others before it.

My littles have grown big. I am not rocking babies anymore. Well, except for my nephew Max. I'll gladly rock him any chance I get. This season of running to and fro, watching my boys play soccer, golf, baseball, or whatever sport is in season...listening to them tell their stories. Enjoying all that goes along with boyworld. It too, will pass. Like babies, pre-teens and teenagers don't keep. How I feel the urgency of soaking in the dwindling time of my eleventh grader's high school years and my fourth grader who is just a hop skip and a jump away from high school himself. It is hard to focus on much else, realizing that soon this season will be over.

I'll admit that while I talk about embracing all the seasons of our lives, my heart is not quite ready to embrace the next one. I am feeling rather sappy as I think of my boy, as I watch him become the young man that he is becoming...one that I admire. One that I'm proud of. One that I love so dearly. When we watched Toy Story 3 this summer, I couldn't keep the tears back, at the thought of Andy going to college to leave his toys behind. I remembered my boy playing with his Woody and Buzz toys. I thought of how he has traded that sweet time, for this one. Life is uncertain, and this world is so big. It's hard not to wonder about all of our choices as parents. It's hard to let go. Sometimes, it's even hard to remember that God is bigger than all the storms that come our way. All of those feelings spilled out in the tears I couldn't hold back as we watched the movie. Timothy shook his head, a little disgusted by my sappiness. (I'm sure he feels that way a lot these days!)

So, if I seem a little preoccupied, a little out of sorts, please be patient with me. I may not be rocking a baby, but I am certainly still trying to soak it all in...to embrace every moment of this season.

Because, children and teenagers just don't keep.

7 comments:

Tonya said...

This post came for me at just the right time. I've spent my days lately just loving on my sweet Baby Matthew, and my house is suffering miserably for it. With one already in middle school, I know the time passes too quickly, but I needed this reminder. Thank you. Love and blessings!

Tonya

Kristin said...

I remember after Mom died, for years, I didn't want to do anything or live life, because I was afraid that would make it just go by that much faster. I know that doesn't make much sense, but in my mind, I guess I felt I hadn't stopped to treasure every moment with her and so I thought if I just stayed home, it wouldn't make the days go by so fast. God has been helping me to enjoy every moment, as I learn to live life again.

Praying you find your place, Kelly and that the Lord will help you live that John 10:10 life....better than anything we could ever imagine!

Lori said...

Time. I just can't understand how it works...drags when I want it to speed up and flies when I just want it to stay frozen for a so I can enjoy every second of it.

It's just unbelievable to me how it works!

Thinking of you as you enjoy every bit of this season!
xoxo

Holly said...

They certainly do grow up fast and you really do have to cherish every stage they are in b/c it won't last. You don't want to look back and wish you had spent more time w/ your children than doing something else.

Jenilee said...

I am amazed at how quickly I flew through the baby/toddler/preschooler stage! now they are all doing things for themselves, learning to read and before I know it they will be through this stage and on to the next! trying to breath over here too :)

Sarita Boyette said...

I love that poem! I wrote it in Adam's baby book in 1978, and found thank-you notes with it on them for him and his wife to use for their son's shower gifts in 2008.
I understand how you feel - the doctor said it is the "empty nest syndrome." The time does pass far too quickly and I think it must hit very hard for those of us who have previously lost children. We are again "losing" children but in a different way. Praying for you, dear, as you go through this period of your life.(((HUGS)))

Unknown said...

I LOVE the poem you started this post with. So true! Kids grow so fast :*)