Welcome

If you are new to our site, this blog is sort of a hodge podge of our ministry and family life, and whatever else God lays on my heart to share. The Home Page above will link you to our Sufficient Grace Ministries page. You can read more about the 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and the outreaches of this ministry whose mission is to offer comfort and hope to grieving parents. The Blog button brings you to the page you are currently reading, featuring a variety of subjects...some ministry updates, some family news, and some biblically-based encouragement. The Walking With You page is a place for bereaved parents who have lost a baby or child to find encouragement and hope. It is an online support group created so that families would know they are not walking this path alone. On the Dreams of You Shop page, you can learn more about the products and services we offer, place an order, or sponsor a family. The Encouraging Women blog is a work in progress. There, we hope to offer biblically-based encouragement to all women. The Resource page has been newly updated with a list of resources that are helpful for grieving parents. Our blogroll is also located on this page. Thank you so much for visiting our site. Blessings to you...

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Where is the Love?

I don't like to rant or get on my soapbox a lot, but there are some things on my mind that I just would like to sort out here if that's O.K. with you. Or...even if it isn't.

It has to do with the judgment we give to each other as Christians in place of the grace and love that Jesus has for us. I think some are really "missing it". I have been guilty of it, I'm sure. But lately, I feel that God has been speaking to my heart on this issue in my own life. And, I'm a little sad when I look around and see how much of it goes on.

I'll give a couple examples. Grieving mothers. I spend a lot of time with grieving mothers, and I have been a grieving mother. I have not met one yet who wasn't judged by someone or hurt by the comments of another. Some of the most difficult and hurtful things have even been said by those who profess to know Jesus. They may know Jesus, indeed...but they were not representing Him with those words of judgment.
Words that say: "You shouldn't feel sorrow when your child has died because you should have joy and peace.(Yes...we do have joy and peace in the Lord and His promises...but that doesn't mean we won't feel sorrow at the loss of our child or loved one.) You shouldn't show weakness...it's a poor witness. Your baby is in heaven...it's selfish to continue in this sorrow, burdening others with your grief. It's been x-amount of time...you should really get over this by now. You need to be taking this to the Lord...you wouldn't be so burdened if you would just give it over to Him. There is some sort of bitterness in you if you are struggling to go to church." Or a million other cliches that may be true, but can be callous and heartless in the face of such sorrow and brokenness...

Can I just say...these families are grieving. They may know the truth of God's promises. He will heal them in time, and even restore their joy. But, for now...they are in an agony that you may know nothing of. They may not be sitting in that church pew, not because they are running from God...but because it is too painful to sit there with an empty place where their child (or loved one for others who grieve) should be sitting. Imagine for a moment an empty place at your table where your son, husband, mother...once sat. An empty place in the church pew. At the football game. A canyon of emptiness in your heart everywhere you go. The worship songs touch a tender place and tears fall. People who should be loving them are judging them. People who should be walking with them are not even looking upon them...saying nothing. Leaving them alone in the pit.

Yes...there is a time for healing. And I am not suggesting wallowing in grief forever. Or allowing bitterness to take root and claiming a victim mentality. No...we truly do have victory in Jesus. We do not grieve without hope. There is much hope, much grace, much love. What I am upset by is the tendency to judge one another's performance as Christians. The focus on our performance. Grieving is most certainly no time to judge someone's performance. Those in the throws of grief's storm are just trying to hold on...just trying to put one foot in front of the other...to survive the storm...to do the next thing. There is no room for performance. And, really it robs the one beautiful thing about such hideous sorrow...the beauty of being carried by our Father...the being held in the grip of His grace, the very picture of His strength being made perfect through our weakness. What could we possibly do in our own power to compare to that?

And, grieving mothers are not alone. Mothers in general feel the sting of performance looming over them. I have a couple of strong-willed boys. One is a teenager. The other is riddled with his own quirks that make him both wonderful and also take quite a lot of energy to parent. A persistent pair, they are. And, although I have been consistent and purposeful (although far from perfect), and most of all prayerful in my parenting, they are also persistent, purposeful, and consistent in their glorious willfulness. Can I just say...if you see a mom who seems a little done...a little exhausted, a little impatient...don't assume that she has no parenting skills. Don't judge her too quickly. And, if you see children not behaving as they should, don't assume it's because that mother isn't doing her job. Don't assume that just because they are not choosing the proper behavior that they haven't been taught the proper behavior. There's a reason they are called strong-willed. They don't give up easily. She isn't finished training them. And God isn't finished with them...or her.

Once, I was asked if I'd ever read The Strong-Willed Child by a well-meaning person looking a little too closely at the willful "performance" of my children.

My reply: "Yes...read it several times...own it...and more importantly, I live it. This is what it looks like."

I have struggled with this issue of performance. And, I'm feeling rebellious of it...and tired of it. Many times, I have allowed the judgments of others (or the perceived judgments) to dictate my parenting choices. It is never good for any of us when I begin measuring my performance as a mother or their performance as MY children...instead of just looking at them as individuals. Instead of just loving them as the gifts they are. Instead of just allowing God's grace to wash over all of us.

One evening, after a particularly trying day, I was replaying my "performance" in my mind and I shared my "I should've done this...or said thats" with my husband. He smiled and said, "Don't worry, babe. Our boys will give you another opportunity tomorrow." That's the good news about persistent children. There will always be another opportunity for teachable moments. And, really...it isn't just strong-willed kids who will keep messing up. It's all of us. We'll mess up again, too. And we'll get another opportunity. That night...I was thinking...another opportunity to "get it right". But, maybe instead, we should think....another opportunity for grace. After all, Lamentations 3 reassures us that "His mercies are new every morning. And His compassions fail not...". What a gift we have in His new, fresh mercy...every morning. Do we claim that gift...for ourselves, for our kids? Do we live like it's "His goodness that leads to repentance"? Or are we dangling that performance baloney over ourselves and our families?

O.K...I think I'm almost done ranting. Thanks for hanging in if you're still there. And...thanks for all the love that I have had the privilege of experiencing HERE in blog land. I love this blog family...and I'm so thankful that we can love and support one another. In fact, I knew you all would understand. That's why I'm up on my soapbox this Sunday morning, before hanging out with my church family....whom I also dearly love. Because here, I have found grace and love. I'm praying that I will remember to be a vessel of that grace and love as well...and that we can just shake off all that performance-stuff, and stop with the judging of ourselves and others.

Love to all of you...

UPDATE: In the spirit of showing the love, please pray for sweet Devon and her precious baby girl.

19 comments:

Cheryl said...

I hate that this needs said, but YOU GO GIRL!! Thank you for saying what many people feel.

Michelle said...

Thank you for this post. You write what I am often thinking and feeling. I am here to listen whenever you need to rant!

Celia said...

Kelly, I have felt that judgement placed upon me by several....I should be over this by now. This was God's will so we should be okay with it. At least we have 3 healthy children; consider yourself blessed. And while all those statements might have some truth them, are they supposed to ease my pain? Cuz they don't...Not even a little bit.

And I too have strong-willed children. I long ago quit trying to hold my self to a standard that I assumed everyone else was judging me by and it has eased things and helped me to enjoy my children all the more.

Trisha Larson said...

Kelly-

Oh how I can relate. It was all of our Christian friends and family that walked away from us when Nate died. Our non-christian friends and Mormon friends (which we didn't have very many of) were the only ones that would talk to us for months. Almost everyone we were connected with were Christians. Those friends and family kept saying (to others...not us of course) that they were "praying for us" but no one was talking to us. I kept asking my pastor "why?" Why did everyone abandon us?


It was because our Christian friends and family walked away and stood in judgement of us that we didn't go to church for almost a year. We stayed home where we felt safe and watched webcasts of the services.

It was so hurtful to be abandoned by those whom in my opinion should know better. They should know that God doesn't JUST want us to pray. He wants us to be His hands and feet to minister to others. He wants us to live in community and support one another. He wants us to love each other and forgive each other. We never felt that from our Christan friends. We did feel it from our non-christian friends. Go figure.

It's been hard to go back to church and face these people. I still haven't gone to any type of family gathering so I haven't faced them yet. What do you say?

I've been feeling the need to write about this in my blog because I'm really struggling with it. I'm praying about it now. Check back later and see where God leads me.

Thank you for writing this today. It really helps to know that I'm not alone in my experience.

Trisha

Stacy D said...

Thanks for this great post, Kelly. I am so comforted by people like Job and Joseph in the Bible who love God deeply, but who stuggled... deeply struggled. But who still remained steadfast in their hope in God. I appreciate your honesty in this post :)

~ Stacy

R said...

I understand your rant. I can connect with Trisha and we left church for a while because of the isolation from other Christians while there. (We've sense found a new church that we really like though.) I also recieved a salvation track while I was in the hospital (after news spread that our son would be still born) from the pastor of a church we visited when we first moved to town. He didn't first take the time to find out about my relationship with Christ or simply offer comfort and if I hadn't already had a deep faith I know that would've pushed me away! That being said, I know I am far from perfect myself and still stumble and fall in my walk many times over. I wish Christians were more of a reflection of Christ's love.

The Writer Chic said...

All I can say is AMEN and I thank God for you, Kelly.

Joyce said...

Well said!! Thanks for being so honest and telling it like it is. You are an inspiration to me every time I read your blog.

God Bless You!

April said...

Your posts are always inspiring and I know that I (having not experienced the loss that many of you have) can only understand the depth the your words to certain point. I just hope that I have not been one to hurt anyone in my attempts to help comfort.

I was just reading about this in Lynnette's In Faithfulness, He Afflicted Me. She was describing how it felt when someone would try to help by voicing a verse to her. Many times, they were passages better left for the griever to stumble upon on their own. Lynnette used the example of "Count it all joy when you fall into trials."

I had compassion for her situation while reading over Chapter 3. I know you have read her book as well. A lot of people don't know what to say to someone is deep mourning, feel they should say something, and often times are accidentally offending / overstepping. I can't imagine why anyone would intentionally be rude or harsh. Everyone grieves in a different way, in their own time.

Emmy said...

Thank you for saying it, Kelly. Feel free to rant anytime! :)

Ms. Sarah said...

thank you for sharing this kelly. I understand completely.thank you for your honesty.

Anonymous said...

Kelly

Heard a sermon today about Hannah and I even blogged about it before coming over to read your blog. My MIL told me the day after our son died "that she was relieved our son died because my stepchildren couldn't accept him having children with anyone but their mother." Of course she thinks of herself as a good Christian woman, I have allowed myself no further contact with her and I'm ok with that. My broken heart needed to be pampered, it's been four years I forgive her just can't put myself in the line of her ugliness. Grief is hardwork and outside people judging just makes it harder. Hang in there!!!

Unknown said...

Thats a good rant. I needed to hear the performance one because as I look forward to parenting I need to learn to know what is ok for US and not measure myself or my children on their performance for others. I continue to learn much from you!
chelso935@hotmail.com

Jennifer Ross said...

Wonderful..wonderful post.

Now we just need to get that post in all newspapers around the world. A little "food for thought."

Love,
Jenny

Unknown said...

Publicly displayed frustrations... often the very thing that comforts another in their own frustrations.

Kelly, I've struggled lately in a way I haven't struggled before - it's something new to me. I'm in a new stage of life. (I had my own little vent session the other day on my blog).

Life is just full of lessons, opportunities to learn...to forgive...

If only we were all perfect. Now wouldn't that be nice! :) I hate that we live in a world of judgment and unkindness. I hate that I sometimes judge and an unkind.

I think it's important to share what's on our hearts because sometimes people feel all alone in their place - so thank you for allowing yourself to be transparent.

Love you.
Lynnette

Michelle Yoder said...

Thanks for sharing your rant :) I have encountered many Christians & their "well meaning" expressions, and it has taught me a lot - many times I just need to keep my mouth quiet and my ears open- especially to those grieving.
Parenting my girls has shown me my own need for grace - everyday.
Your post has encouraged me today, thank you for sharing.
Michelle

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I was saddened to read that people would make comments like that.

Then you got to the part about the 'done mommy'. Girl, that was good and I loved your response to the person about the book. You are so wise, so kind, and so giving...but it is fun to see the humorous and tough side of you, too.

xoxo, Veronica in CA

DawnM said...

As I was reading your post...and the comments, I remembered a verse I read earlier. It was in Job.
This is in Chapter 2 where his friends make an appointment together to go an mourn and encourage Job. (Now we all know in the end...Job's comforters really fell short, but it didn't start that way...)

"And when they raised their eyes from afar, and did not recognize him, they lifted their voices and wept, and each one tore his robe and sprinkled dust on his head toward heaven. So they sat down with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his grief was very great." Job 2:12-13

If only his comforters had continued what they started and simply stayed by Job's side, instead of trying to explain or give counsel. How many times we try to do things in love...and in the end, we screw it up.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for ranting! Maybe I haven't given my current church family a chance. In a previous time of grief I received lots of this type of judgment so i don't even want to try now.

Perceived judgments. . . yup, that is big too. Whether it's something a person does, or says--it's not always the really lousy stuff either--I'm thinking their reasoning is just as you described, the "we do not grieve as those who have no hope" (excuse me? how then should we grieve?) or "joy comes in the morning."

My personal un-favorite "innocent comment" is the cheerful "How are you doing?" which seems to imply that it's a wonderful day and isn't life wonderful.

Perhaps the person means nothing by it. It's been two months, they have forgotten. (I haven't.)

I don't think I could honestly say "ok" or "fine", although if I compared my situation to someone who had a worse story, I am.

And if my answer is "not so well," what then. Usually I give a noncommittal "some days are better than others" or "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" and most don't go farther in that conversation.

I'm pretty sure the folks are tired of me moping and slinking around the outside of the group. Sometimes I am tired of me moping! I wonder: Am I milking this sorrow for all it's worth? has the grieving mother disguise overstayed its welcome? Am I wallowing in grief when I should be moved past it by now?

Some of the nicer comments come from those who say "There are no words." True, but I want there to be words that will magically make this stop hurting. But the words from some have a sword's edge.